I lost all my documents. How can I recover them?
Genius Scan only stores documents on your device by default, but there are ways to recover them if you changed your device, reset it, or uninstalled Genius Scan by mistake.
If you just changed your device
See this other article for how to transfer your documents between devices.
If you lost your documents for other reasons
- your phone was broken or stolen
- you deleted important documents by mistake
- you deleted and reinstalled Genius Scan
- you reset your phone to factory settings
Then, you may still be able to recover your documents if you act quickly.
[iOS] Restore an iCloud/iTunes backup from before the document loss event
If you have an iCloud or iTunes backup created before the document loss, you can restore your device with this backup and it will include all your documents. Please follow this Apple tutorial closely.
Make sure to select "Restore an iCloud Backup" when you set up your device. If you select "Set up as a New iPhone" in the Apps & Data menu (step 5 of this tutorial), you will not be able to recover your Genius Scan data even if you later log into your iCloud account.
[Android] Restore a manual backup
You can create a backup of your Genius Scan data on the device that stores your documents and restore it on the phone where you want the document transferred.
If you don't have a backup of your scans on Genius Cloud or in a backup, you may still be able to recover your scans:
- if you have set up Auto-Export on your old phone, the documents might have been saved in a cloud storage service – such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
- If you have manually exported or sent these documents to other people, you might just find them in your mail account's Sent box.